Monday 11 December 2017

Let it snow (but not too much!)

So another year has passed in the blink of an eye........but lets not dwell on that. Lets talk SNOW!

Snow.....that cancelled my choir show (well postponed)

Snow.....that has given my daughter a day off school

Snow.....that has given us great pleasure

Snow.....that is a nightmare for MS'ers


We have had the most snow that the UK has seen in a long time and it has caused chaos, goodness knows how places like Finland deal with it!  I suppose they are used to it and we aren't.

I love snow, it is beautiful and I was willing it to snow more, but from the comfort of my nice cosy house. Because MS and snow do not mix too well!! Ava was with her dad and got to build a snowman which is great because I can't do that anymore. I did venture out to collect some bits from my car but that was challenging enough itself. I walked with my frame very cautiously but I can only imagine how dangerous it was outside of the safety of my driveway. So yes I love snow, but the aftermath of ice causes me great anxiety. I worry about driving in it as I drive with hand controls and when you brake no matter how gently you think you are braking, you seem to skid.


I also had a Physio assessment last week as I have not seen the team since Ava was a baby and feel like I have lost some strength recently. So I was referred by my MS Nurse and I felt that it was very positive session. I thought I was just being 'lazy' having naps on my day off, turns out it is probably MS fatigue https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/fatigue. It has gradually crept up on me but I didn't really realise. I don't sleep well, which doesn't help. I have to take Gabapentin as a slight sedative to help alleviate this. This definitely helps! I spoke to a fellow MS sufferer who told me that he can't work because he gets so tired and falls asleep all the time. It all makes sense now and I felt a little better that it wasn't just me. The power of hearing that it isn't just you, it makes you feel a little better that there is a genuine reason for it and you are not alone. So if you are feeling this way at all......talk to someone, your MS nurse, your partner, your family, your physio, anyone! You are not alone.

I am being referred for more physio and to see the fatigue management team so hoping that they will be able to guide me and give me some strategies to help me cope. I am still working 2 days a week which is probably a good thing. Although very oddly on the days I work I seem to have more energy and don't ever feel sleepy. This shall remain a mystery!

Bye for now,

Em xxx












No comments:

An insight to my life with MS